Leeds Historic Southern Railway Depot

The Leeds Southern Railway Depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 and is listed in the Register of the Jefferson County Historical Commission and in the Alabama Historical Commission’s Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The Depot was built by Richmond & Danville Co. in 1883-84 following the completion of the Georgia & Pacific RR line between Birmingham and Atlanta, three years before the Town of Leeds was incorporated. Richmond Terminal Co. operated the Georgia-Pacific lines until 1885 when Richmond & Danville RR took over, succeeded by Southern Railway in 1894. Efforts to save the historic building began in 1980 after Southern RR merged with Norfolk-Southern RR. The restoration project was completed in 1984, 100 years after the depot was built. learn more

Share